Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending Moment diagram 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sro2ck

Civil/Environmental
Jan 18, 2014
How can i draw Bending moment diagram after calculation of end moments by using Slope Deflection Method? Can any one have ideas about it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's easy. You figure out the end reactions based on the applied loads and your end moments. Then cut a section adjacent to the end of the beam and draw a free body diagram with the reactions, applied loads and your end moment on it. With that drawn, your only unknown is the beam moment. Calculate a formula for the monents based on the the knowns (end moment, loads and reactions) and starting with your end monent superimpose that formula on the beam. To double check your work, the formula should end with the moment on the other end of the beam.
Or you could get any basic structural textbook and look it up.

Thanks chicopee, I found your material helpful for me. Can you also suggest for frames as well .Like you suggested me for beam.

sro2ck, I apologize. I looked at my textbooks and handbooks, and they do a real lousy job with this basic task. For the life of me, I don't know how I ever learned it. There seems to be a lot of magic between the calculation of the end moments and the moment diagram.
The best way is to have someone instruct you step by step.

Hi sro2ck,

I've attached some of my old uni notes on slope defection method that include a worked example with a simple frame.

I hope this is helpful - although there are better methods for determining bending moments in a frame (moment or stiffness method for example). Is hope this is not for a school project???

Anyway, if my post is inappropriate I'm sure the moderators will take it down.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5847676a-6c11-4c41-9ad9-889af9906c37&file=Slope_Deflection_Method.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back