Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bending moments in bearings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

valintine

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2003
GB
I am trying to work out how to calculate the bending moment in a linear bearing, and I can`t seem to find any formula or information on the topic. I would be most grateful if someone could help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work for a linear bearing manufacturer. Can you better explain what you are looking for? It sounds like you are trying calculate the deflection for a linear rail that is not mounted to a structure - in which case you use standard beam deflection equations and get the moment of inertia for the rail crosssection from the bearing manufacturer.

You will want to watch your deflections. Most linear bearings have plastic end caps that will be damaged if the rail deflects too much.

We generally don't recommend using the rail itself as a structural memeber because of this. I have seen some applications that work ok with a free mounted rail - ussually it's small loading and short strokes.

There are some rails on the market that are specifically designed to be used as a structural member - the rail is shaped like an I-Beam.

It worked fine! The deflection was only about .2 of a mill. I auctually used two rails and a power screw so the three of them each took there own streeses and strains!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back