Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending pipe to 180 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerk

Industrial
Dec 1, 2010
I am looking to bend 30mm pipe into U shapes with a radius of about 95mm. Normally get them manufactured for us on a mandrel bender but for cost reasons we would like do it our selves. We are manufacturing in the 1000s so need fairly good output.

Mandrel benders are outside my budget, apart from the tool which i would have to buy is there more to a madrel bender than a shaft that turns through 180 degrees. which i could make my self with hyraulics.

any thoughts

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bending mandrels are quite complex and therefore expensive. You may be able to get by with filling the pipe with sand and using a saddle type bender. Of course hot bending makes it easier and may be required for some alloys.

What type of roundness tolerance do you have? Can your Radius be slightly bigger? What is your wall thickness?

Depening on those answers and your flexibility, you make be able to find a work around. If you are stuck or limited in design flexibility you may have to put it on a mandrel bender.
F.Y.I. (If it was easy to make a low cost mandrel bender subsitute, everyone would do that) Chances are if you can make some slight design changes you could get it on a saddle bender.

Ryan Marks
Mechanical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back