Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BESS maximum number of MV transformers per feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter22

Electrical
Dec 1, 2006
US
For a given lets say 3 MVA transformer which are looped within in a MV feeder (for example 34.5 kV). How many maximum transformer can be looped together to deliver power at the end of feeder? Lets say we want to deliver 200 MW and use 8 feeders. each feeder would carry 200MW/8= 25 MW and if we want to use 3 MVA transformer in a looped configuration for each feeder what is the maximum transformer can be used in terms of physical limitation and cable ampacity and power factor and voltage and losses.

Thanks,

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The limitation would be the ampacity of the transformer loop-through hardware. 25MW strings at 34.5kV should not be a problem.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Could be wrong, but I don't think load break elbows exist at 34.5kV. At least they didn't use to be available. I recall the options being 200 or 600A non-load break.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

One limitation is the bushing of the transformer in the loop configuration and it seems that it has a limitation of 600A. Is this the only limitation factor?

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back