Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best 3D Cad Program for Injection Mold Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlandm

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2002
US
The company I work for is looking to upgrade our 3D cad software. We design and build plastic injection molds using part prints and most often customer supplied data. Currently we use Mechanical Desktop 6. We have looked at and had demos from Pro-E and Unigraphics. Both have Cad packages specifically for mold designing. We need to be able to import STEP files from our customers, split the core and cavity and make detail prints of the complete mold design. Does anyone have any experience with these programs or can make a recommendation on these or any other Cad programs for mold design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SolidWorks 2001plus has native mold design tools, no add-ons required. You are able to create cavities, add draft, create split and parting lines, scale parts (to allow for shrinkage) and even have the ability to perform draft analysis.

Worth getting demo scheduled. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Dear mlandm;

It seems many mould shops in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada use Solidworks because of its native mould design features. However I might point out that Desktop is better at splitting parts. Desktop allows you to split parts and at the end of the operation you have 2 distinct editable entities in your drawing. With Solidworks you have to create the 2 parts seperately using radiate surface or cut with split line. Solidworks is far better at manipulating parts and assemblies in preparation for mating but the actual mating process is a pain to understand, desktop has the edge there, no pun intended. A friend of mine swears by Think 3D for mould design. His shop used desktop and ditched it in favour of Think 3d due to the instability of wobbly desktop. I think if you are suitably competent in any of these programs you can make up for their weak points.

Hope this helps

Regards Adrian

I'd suggest you look at what system most of your customers are using and go with them. Then you'd have less conversion problems.

If you're looking at Pro-E and UG (and don't have sticker shock), then take a look at CATIA as well.

I agree with all those who nominated SolidWorks or SolidEdge. I have used Autodesk for years and loved it. Then I was shown Pro-E, my mind rejected the drop downs. Finally, I really entered the design world with Solid Edge. I couldn't get my old comapny to switch. They destroyed a machine when the CAM errored from AutoCAD. They bought Solid works the next day. Seriously!

Also I agree with Jackk, if you can get your company to consider CATIA; go with it. CATIA is the best I have heard from both ACad user's and Pro-E user's. Which I believe is the only thing I have heard those two groups agree on. Those who use them know what I mean

Have a nice day!
OhioIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back