Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Alloy for salt water (Sea water) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattletrap

Automotive
May 6, 2010
AU
Hi Guys.
I am interested in finding the most suitable material for a sea water application. Because we would like to conduct heat Aluminium is the first choice. As the parts will be die casted I set my sites on A360. However I cannot find any good information regarding how this material will perform under emersion in sea water.
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
In advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the max temperature?
How has the seawater been treated? chlorination? filtration?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

In general, high pressure die cast aluminum alloys do not have good corrosion resistance when fully immersed in seawater. Here is an example of what A360 looks like when exposed to just salt spray (5% NaCl):

If you must use a die cast Al part, it will need to be properly surface treated in order to have sufficient corrosion resistance. This usually means pretreatment + primer + topcoat + sacrificial anode (cathodic protection). Here is an excellent description of the development of an outboard motor transmission housing including all of the above mentioned details:

As TVP has correctly noted, if you insist on using die cast you will have to properly teat the surface so as to secure it from sea water. Is there any particular reason you need to stick to this type of material? Maybe you could just go for alloys with natural corrosion resistance?

ASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back