Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best approach for automating "replace component"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_from_space

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2022
US
Got an existing assembly with a bunch of components/constraints that I want to use as a seed part. I'm very comfortable with excel so I'd like to utilize a spreadsheet that takes some numeric inputs and basically it would generate a new BOM: a column of part numbers and a corresponding column of callout values. Seems to me there should be a (relatively) simple way to get that spreadsheet to "replace component" automatically for the whole assembly, but the more I look into it the more I think I'm going down the wrong path on this. Journals seem a bit extreme for this but I've coded enough where those aren't outside my comfort zone. Family parts seem to have functionality along these lines but I'm not personally experienced with them.

Just looking for any advice on how to approach this. I'm sure I'll have more to research but I just want to get off on the right foot. Might be important to mention that we use Teamcenter 11 and NX 1953. Also whatever this ends up being I have to get a few dozen people using it so hopefully it doesn't get too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back