Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best book on Discrete-Time/Digital Control Theory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pero5

Computer
Apr 11, 2013
Hello there people!

I'm a Computer Engineer and I need help from Control Engineers. I studied in my graduation Control Theory and I have used Ogata's and Nise's books. I like both very much but, altough they both have a chapter about Digital Control, I feel that they are too superficial on it.
I'm aware of Ogata's Discrete-time Control Systems and I'm been using it actually, but I would like to know if you guys know any other good books in the subject! Do you think Ogata's Discrete-time Control Systems is the best one?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have liked the Franklin & Powell that I used (now Franklin, Powell, & Workman), but I am not that familiar with Ogata. A lot of the texts are very similar these days, and much of the choice is just a style preference.

I would recommend Digital Control of Dynamic Systems - 1st edition by Franklin, et al. (may be the same book cswilson above mentioned). The way he explains the ties between analog and digital using illustrations was very helpful. The clear understanding of Z transforms is absolutely necessary for anyone wishing to perform feedback and control. The 1st edition still is one of my favorite books and I still use many dog-eared pages as reference. I took a look at the newest edition, 3rd edition and it was quite disappointing. Franklin seems to have incorrectly assumed that everyone uses MATLAB and much of the book is about teaching you how to use MATLAB instead of teaching control theory. My 1981 edition, which I used in grad school, was all about explaining digital control, not how to use a specific canned program. Not to single out Franklin though: I see many modern EE books in which the author thinks he is supposed to teach you how to click a mouse instead of teaching the subject matter.

Funny.

I took graduate digital control systems course using Franklin/Powell/Workman book.
It was a nightmarish blur for me. Lots of math and in the end I felt like I learned nothing. Reachability, observability, Kalman.. what? Would never want to go through that again.

It was probably more to do with the situation and the professor (it couldn't have been me ;-) ) than with the book.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

I am currently at a controls conference at MIT. At a tutorial, the professors recommended the Franklin/Powell/Workman book. But they also focused mainly on analog design techniques - Bode analysis mainly - as the key design technique for most industrial systems. They were quite clear that for most people, the state-space design techniques, the ones Pete complains about - leave people with no intuition or understanding of what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back