Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best book on piping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpumar

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2001
US
Hi guys out there.

I'm willing to buy a book on piping that includes supports, piping systems analysis, material information, etc.

Any information on books that you bought in the past and think are of great value to you, as well as on those which are not, will be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Good question, probably not a really good answer is available. But I will try.

The best historical papers on pipe stress analysis are by A.R.C. Markl and these were published in the 1950's by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). The papers were gathered into a book that was published by ASME. I understand that this old (out of publication) book has been reissued in paperback recently by ASME. The Tube Turns “Piping Design” book (long out of print) republished these papers. Another writer of important technical papers regarding pipe stress analysis is Everett C. Rodabaugh, he has added much original thought to the subject by doing research and writing the results in papers and other publications for the Welding Research Council. There are several WRC bulletins which are “must read” for the piping designer. I would like to recommend that you look into getting a copy of a recently issued WRC document:

Title: Guidelines for the Design and Installation of Pump Piping Systems.
V. A. Carucci and J. A. Payne
Welding Research Council Bulletin 449

The title of Bulletin 449 is very descriptive of the contents - this is 48 pages of common sense guidelines to designing piping so that the pumps will survive. This is a must read and a great reference for your technical library.

There really has not been a book on piping design written recently. I believe that the best available contemporary piping design book is "Practical Guide to ASME B31.3 Process Piping", by G.E. Woods and R.B. Baguley (published by CASTI Publishing Company, 14820 29th Street Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5Y 2B1, Canada, Telephone (403) 478-1208, Fax (403) 473-3359 ). Another useful book (albeit, now out of print) is "Introduction to Pipe Stress Analysis " (2 volumes) by Sam Kannappan, 1992, (ISBN 0 89464 706 7), Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, Florida, 32950. Mr. Kannappan is also a B31.3 Code Committee member. The Kannappan book shows pipe stress analysis approaches as they are done today with the contemporary computer programs. Another book, Piping and Pipe Support Systems, by P.R. Smith and T.J. Van Laan was published by McGraw Hill but you may want to review it before you consider a purchase. A good ("must have") but rather pricey reference book is the Piping Handbook, 7th edition, edited by M. L. Nayyar and published by McGraw Hill ,1992, IBSN 0 07 046881 8, (this book is an update of a classic reference which was originally written by R.C. King and S. Crocker; if you could find an old 5th edition of this handbook (on the internet as a used book) you would find excellent writing on pipe stress analysis by John Brock, including some wonderful historical information. One other standard reference (it does not address stress analysis but is a good reference for design) that is found in nearly all piping design firms is "The Piping Guide" by D.R. Sherwood and D.J. Whistance - ISBN 0-914-08219-1 (Syentek, PO Box 26588, San Francisco, California 94126). The "Piping Guide" is commonly used is community colleges for teaching layout and good practice (every piping designer should have one). Piping Design for Process Plants, by H. F. Rase (Library of Congress Card Number 63-17483) is a good practical guide but not very deep in theory or technical background. It is still available through several book sellers (e.g., AMAZON.COM). The Seventh Edition of the Grinnell Book, Piping Design and Engineering, has recently been released and can be had by contacting your Grinnell representative ( you will pay either $100.00 or nothing for the book depending upon your relationship with your Grinnell Rep.). This book is useful but by no means as technical as the "Kellogg Book" Also, the methods shown for hanger sizing are not as accurate as a computer model. The "Kellogg Book" is, of course, out of print. The last issue was the "revised Second Edition" which was published after 1977 (ISBN 0 471 46795 2, Library of Congress Card Number 56-5573). About 50 percent of the book is obsolete and of only historical interest to the practical piping Engineer. The other 50 percent of the book is useful even today and provides good background information. I have seen the book listed on at least one used technical books site but I cannot remember where I saw it. It should be out there as a used technical book because a lot of them were sold. "Process Plant Layout and Piping Design", by Ed Bausbacher and Roger Hunt (IBSN 0 7913 0543 5 ), (originally published by Auerbach Publishers, it is now republished by another firm), 1990, might be useful to you but, because it is pricey, I recommend finding a copy in a library and looking it over before you buy. I have seen some advertising for seminars of between 3 and 5 days duration which are done by Mr. Ed Bausbacher (who is the author of the book "Process Plant Layout and Design").

You may want to try Brown Book Store in Houston Texas for some of these books(713-652-3937, orders@brownbookshop.com). Brown Book Store sometimes has "out of print" books. Other sites to visit: and
There are special books covering special topics such as underground piping, plastic piping, large diameter piping and penstocks, etc. and if you need references to these look at references in the AWWA M-11 Manual for Steel Pipe Design. The AWWA M-11 Manual addresses large pipe used for penstocks.

Every year the Pressure Vessel and Piping (PVP)Division of ASME has a conference which produces about 200 good papers (about 40 percent piping subjects) and these papers are gathered into publications which are offered by ASME. You could write to ASME and get on their mailing list for publications.

I am sure I am missing a few but presumably others will fill in this list.

Best regards, John.

Piping Handbook
By
Mohinder L. Nayyar

This is a very informative book and I have found it very useful! I have the sixth edition. The 7th edition is available, $125. If you go to Amazon.com you can see 54 sample pages most of which are index and table of contents. It is also available used through Amazon and I have found almost all of their soliciting third party suppliers to be most reliable.

Mark

P.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back