Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best CAD spaceball 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAD2015

Computer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi,

Based on your personal experience, which CAD spaceball (Catia and NX) spaceball is the best?

Thanks

CAD 2015

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd have to say 3Dconnexion, and base the option choice from there on your budget. I have not had the opportunity to use a SpaceControl unit.

I have had very good support from 3Dconnexion too, actually with one of the founders.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

3DConnexion. Flawless OOTB. Integrated quite nicely with all software I've wanted it for (NX and CATIA primarily) and works for misc other applications (internet browser, pdf viewer) that I never required it for, but "it was nice to have" when I discovered it worked.

Comfortable, sturdy, durable, heavy enough to be effectively stationary while in use, quick to get used to (if you haven't used one before)

SpaceController (puck or ball) & any of the 3D Connexion units.
I have 2 SpaceControllers that I use at home & at work and I've got the SpaceNavigators from 3D Connexion if travelling.
I prefer the SpaceController because I like the software control which is fiddly but powerful to use.
Comes down to price and personal preference. If asked I say the same every time.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

3Dconnexion has a lot of spaceballs:
blob_bou00z.png

blob_dui6d0.png

Which one is the best, in terms of performance?

CAD 2015

The performance is the same, productivity is different in the sense of how many buttons there are & that can be reprogrammed, whether there's a display, etc, one more comfortable than another.
Spend what you can afford, that's what will be best for you.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

While this will in no way help answer the question asked, I thought it might be of interest to some of you to get a bit of history concerning the use of the so-called 'SpaceBall' with UG/NX. Please open the link below and scroll to near the end of the page where you will find a bit of narrative and pictures of some of the early 'SpaceBalls', noting that some of these go back to the early to mid 90's:

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I have just performed a user test of the combination set, which is the SpaceMouse, CADMouse, and Mousepad from 3D connexion and all 12 testers have giving it 5 stars. The like the size, feel and capabilities of the devices. With the 3 Button mouse, it allows them to keep their hands on the devices more and less on the keyboard. This is what we will be rolling out for future installs. As a reference, we currently have the 3D Connexion Space Navigator on 90% of our systems.

I have the 3D Connexion WIRELESS Space Mouse
and it is a total piece of junk, it works only when it wants to.
After less than one year of use I need to get something new.
Previously I had good results from these guys, but not this time.

Fascinating John Baker! Thanks for the history trip.

@KKKing, I have that combo and it is all I could ask for, highly recommended! The 3Dconnexion mouse and mouse-pad should not be overlooked, they are very nice and add the finishing touches to a high-end setup. Get em! Beg for em! Steal em! (not recommended) Put them on your Christmas lists!!

Or just tell your IT department you have to have them to model correctly. What they don't know wont hurt em'

Felix K. Holloway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back