Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best cell phone for structural engineers? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfat

Structural
Sep 8, 2008
PK
Hi,

Let me brief a little why i am coming with this topic here in this forum.
I have always been a cell phone user who just wants to receive calls, reply to brief messages and want to set reminders and alarms in cell phone..nothing else. I never used internet on cell phone.. i dont' listen to music on phone and i dont' change my cell phone unless it starts giving me trouble(malfunctioning) or its being snatched(usual problem here in my area). My laptop has all technology i need to use,i.e.,softwares like ETABS, SAFE, SAP, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and many other softwares which i generally use.
It was working well till i was on job. Now i am doing my own work and most of the time, i am out of my office for meetings and site visits. I understand that i have to keep myself updated technology-wise, so, I want to switch to a smart/iphone from my basic nokia phone. Being an immigrant to this technology,i am so confused by the variety,like, HTC, Samsung, blackberry etc. I would like to have a budget phone (for at least next two years, not expensive than 400$) which should have basic engineering applications,can carry presentations, can connect to a projector or a laptop for the same purpose, AND can block contact numbers which i don't wanna receive calls and messages from.

I would appreciate some guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only tip I can give is: find out which apps you want to use and see what OS they run on. Then chose from there.

NX 7.5.5.4 with Teamcenter 8 on win7 64
Intel Xeon @3.2GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 2000

You should probably consider getting a tablet and keep your regular phone. You can always use Skype/Google Voice on your tablet to make calls.

You might also want to look at something like a Samsung Galaxy Note, which is a phablet (phone+tablet)

I agree, a tablet sounds more like what you want. Particularly with the idea of large storage space and ability to run a presentation. The projector thing is something I have not heard of with a cell phone....I am sure it's there but I just am not familiar with that capability. If you plan on doing any typing or document review while you are traveling, a smart phone will frustrate you quickly with the keyboard smashed on a small screen whereas you can plug a normal sized keyboard into a tablet.

If you decide to go with a smart phone, I have a motorola droid through verizon. The coverage is excellent, customer service is great, and it runs everything I need including Microsoft Office programs. I even have a few awesome little apps downloaded that will identify AISC shapes, work as a bubble level, and a compass....all of which I have used in the field at times.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Thanks everyone.
yes, i want that phone to run Microsoft office program..keeping a tablet + a phone would be too much for me. i would prefer one thing having all basic things which i may need in short time while i am away from office.

When I go to places, I tend to travel light:
my (very basic) phone without internet connectivity and a USB key which contains practically my entire life.
Everywhere I come there are computers available to check my data/courses/spreadsheets or pop up a presentation or pictures from my USB key.
My next change is gonna be a phone with internet conn. so I can check my (gmail, very practical!) calender and/or mails.

Do you really need "engineering apps" when travelling... ?

I use the iPhone 5 and iPad with LTE. For Windows applications I use the app Documents To Go. I use Jump Desktop for a link to my office or laptop computer. These apps work on both devices. I use to carry my laptop home everywhere. Over the past year I can do most management responsibilities from my iPad. I can view and comment on AutoCad files with the app AutoCad WS. Documents To Go and Adobe Reader are available for PDF files. For meetings the iPad is great. I take notes and draw sketches, which I can email to the office instantly. With LTE data, I am not dependent on a WiFi connection. The "instant on" of the iPad allows for quick emails and notes. The battery life is also much better than a laptop.

My iPhone can do most of the same things. The size is convenient for quick things and the 8 megapixel camera is handy. Pictures are shared with my PC and iPad instantly. The tablet is more practical for extended use.

And Tiger Woods Golf is nice for airline delays.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

I always thought that I could stay away from smart phones but I got hooked a couple years back. The best thing I like about the smart phone is that now when I go on site visits, I usually don't take my camera. The camera features come in handy especially when you are on a lift/scaffold. You can email the picture right there and then and you can also check your office email while on site and in meetings.

I don't use a lot of apps so if you want basic smart phone functions, I suggest looking into cricket phone service. They have no contracts and the bill is fixed. You can call, receive, text and browse as much as you want for about $55/month. Though their coverage is usually limited to major population centers.

The only work things I use my phone for are:

Email when I'm at site
Tethering if I can't get wifi on my laptop and need to access the work network
Calling people (obviously)
Pictures
The HP48 emulator that's available on Android

I use my phone as a calculator more than my actual calculator now that i can do RPN on it.

The Samsung Galaxy Note II is a great phone for Engineers. Big screen size is good for looking at plans etc and the stylus helps sketching things to people on site. At least that is what I've found. Lightning quick too!

For structural engineers, I dont see any tablets used in technical meetings. You dont prefer it either. Unless you are in sales or you are a property agent.

Consider a thin, light & good quality netbook.

Regards,
E104909

i am also thinking on same lines.. a note book( 10") which is easy to carry for out of town trips..i wonder if these small size note books can run softwares like ETABS,SAP etc....and a phone with emailing and texting ease(full key pad)+ pdf or word doc viewer would do for me....i want to go hands-free in meetings and site visits as it is not possible to handle your camera + phone+ a note book when you have to check a floor slab above and climb scaffolds..like BenAustralia said, that it would be great if i can take notes on phone and make some sketches which is often needed to be done at site..its just that i want that phone thing with these fancy features to fit in my pocket.

If an Android device is acceptable for you, check out the Asus Padfone 2. Its a very powerful phone running latest Android and it can clip into a 10" screen to form a good tablet.

If you want to run things like ETabs and other software you're probably going to want something that runs Windows, so the upcoming Surface (i think there is a better one coming out) or something else compact like that might suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back