Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best communication software for engineers 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Cassar

Computer
Nov 21, 2020
GB
I'm really trying to figure out if communication problems are big enough between mech-eng and stakeholder that there are solutions out there that solve it.

Also, is this more of a problem for the manufacturers when they communicate with the mech-eng people?

Wondering if some folks could give their insight into current software that helps them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure what you're trying to solve?

Email, video conferences & screen sharing get you 95% of the way there. The remainder is the amount that's always lost when you're communicating virtually/digitally.

r13 said:
What is the nature of the communication problem? 3D modeling, file sharing, email, virtual meeting....

3D modeling. Particularly when speaking to a manufacturer about an issue with a design that needs to be changed for production.

Then, you might need to develop the detail to point out the issue that require solution. 3D modeling can be confusing to others. But accompanied with a dimensioned sketch with notes will help on visualizing the problem and realizing the need/how to correct the issue.

r13 said:
Then, you might need to develop the detail to point out the issue that require solution. 3D modeling can be confusing to others. But accompanied with a dimensioned sketch with notes will help on visualizing the problem and realizing the need/how to correct the issue.

Thanks! I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is common? I'm thinking of moving to another company and I want to make sure that I have the best practices/software solution as I move forward.

It is very common at a project development stage for issues involve a spectrum of disciplines/manufactures. A good sketch with questions numbered and noted will bring everybody on the same page. When resolving the questions/issues, let everybody stare at the same sketch and go over them one at a time. The best practice is to make sure the adequate information is provided to let people understand your question/intent. Depending on the issue and situation, many software can be utilized to deliver the message, but all starts with a good, clear sketch/drawing.

CJ Cassar,

If somebody cannot communicate through email, there is no software that will fix the problem. I have encountered Telegram. If you are in isolation, Zoom and Jitsi are the nearest thing to a face to face meeting. I have not tried to use SolidWorks though either package. This might be nasty.

In communication, 3D[ ]Software is a solution to people with poor perception of spatial relationships. These people can be customers and they can work in sales. Mechanical design and fabrication is way outside their capability. Mechanical people can cope with marked up 2D[ ]drawings.

--
JHG

What's the nature of the "issue with the design" ... governs the nature of what needs to be communicated and to whom.

If the "issue" is that something doesn't fit, then drawings of the two parts, or solid-models of the two parts showing the interference or mismatch or whatever, sent by email or dealt with in an online meeting using webex ... you zoom into the problem area on your model and show where two chunks of metal are sharing the same space.

If the "issue" is that something isn't strong enough, then perhaps it's an analysis spreadsheet, or the outcome of a FEM analysis, that needs to be sent around by email or dealt with in a webex or zoom meeting.

And so on and so forth.

Webex/zoom/in-person meetings are great but important outcomes should be taken down in writing and distributed to the participants by email afterward. And promptly afterward, not three weeks later.

Document, document, document. Email, email, email.

And NOW, not three weeks from now.

If there's no one taking timely notes, and it's an issue for you, do it yourself. NOW. Not a month from now.

In the webex or zoom meeting, or in a real one, have a notepad window open on your laptop, and write notes as they are discussed ... and by all means share your screen if it is appropriate to do so. When the meeting ends, or perhaps "as it is ending", you save your notes, create an email message, attach your notes, and hit "send". I cannot overemphasize the importance of doing this NOW if not sooner - not when you get a round tuit. NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back