Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Construction Engineerig Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenofstructures

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2009
PH
i would like to ask which is the best engineering field to consider nowadays

1. Structural
2. Geo-technical
3. Water engineering

I think bridge engineering is a given better option although i'm not considering this right now because i can't find a school here that teaches bridge engineering

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Land Surveyors literally traverse all the fields you mentioned. No pun intended. I see a lot of people working there.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Very few schools offer "Bridge Engineering." Don't let that stop you if that's what you want to do. Structural and/or Civil (with a Structural emphasis) will suffice.

The "best" engineering field will be the one where you care about your work.

I agree w/crossframe. I engineer scaffolding and shoring. NO school teaches that but over the years, my Civil degree has allowed me to work on any project I felt comfortable with.

Go where your heart is and you will do a good job. Remember "On the Job Training" is always the best. That is why you need 4 years of experience before setting for your PE test. Most of my college profs couldn't design their way out of a paper bag - unless they spent a couple of semesters doing so. The real world is far different.

I think when you have to chose the engineering field you cannot go where your heart is. The heart comes up later (or not) when you have some experience in your engineering field. Water-engineering makes sense for me as water will always be needed. I dare to say it is the same with petroleum engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back