Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

best fit plane through multiple surfaces (nx 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnikolauk

Automotive
Jul 18, 2011
US
I have 3 surfaces that from which I am trying to generate a single best fit plane. is there a method I'm missing here because I can not find one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is customer surface data so not really. I have 3 surfaces (styled switch buttons) all of which are slightly different from each other. I need to generate a bet fit plane in order to minimize over all package space among other things. (with a little more work than what seems necessary) I can extract a point set from a single surface and use Fit Surface to generate a plane from a single sheet. But I want to average all surfaces together so I can develop a common work plane, draw direction, etc. etc.

There is a "Fit surface" that can fit a plane to ... points and facet data but not to Surfaces.
So i assume that you must create a number of points ( use the Point set) on those surfaces first, and possibly also create a group of the points you like to use.

The needed license is in NX freeform 2.

Regards,
Tomas
image_rr740m.png

The feature is intended to be used in reverse engineering situations, where the data you normally have is points or facets.
- there is always another feature in NX to discover :)

Regards,
Tomas

it is also needed in early development where you have styling surface (which is never flat) and need to develop a package for electronics (almost always flat) behind it. It's just frustrating that a function which was available in a CAD system that has been obsolete for 20 years does not seem to be available in a current "state of the art" system.

Maybe we should tell that to the Siemens product manager, i am pretty sure he/she isn't aware of that usage.
I wasn't, I have been supporting NX since 1990.

Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back