Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best Gasket specification required which can withstand the High Thermal swing ( 0 degree to 300 d C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP007

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2010
SA
Recently we are facing the problem of regeneration vessel top manhole gasket leak after several regeneration cycle. Currently using the 36" Graphite filled metallic gasket. During regeneration vessel under go with high temp N2 from atm. temp to 300 degree centigrade at the rate of ~ 60 d/hr. At 300 degree vessel retain for 4 hours. This is operation requirement twice a month & we observed after 6 to 7 cycles of regeneration leak observed from manhole gasket. We are looking for the Gasket specification which can withstand the this kind of thermal swing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like a Kammprofile (or a CMG if you have the width and bolting to make it work). Basically a serrated/corrugated metal core with graphite facing. Have successfully used them for a couple thousand cycles between coke drums and their deheading valves, so.. 100F-800F-100F every day.

Proper fitup and assembly procedures are paramount, as high thermal gradients can scrub the gasket surface or make it walk, and that will be made worse if the gasket isn't centered properly or if the preload is uneven. Some folks like the addition of Bellville washers, but I've never been particularly convinced myself...

Nathan Brink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back