Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustang

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2002
What are the current hot tickets as far as laptops go for running SE? We have some fairly large assemblies that I occasionally have to get in to. Here's some that I've been looking at:
XI PowerGo Duo XT:
4gB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300
Core2 duo E6750 2.66ghz
2x nvidia geforce G0 8800M GTX 512MB graphics card
HP Compaq 8710W
Core2 duo T8300 2.4ghz
4gb 667MHz DDR2 sdram
nvidia quadro 3600M 512MB
Dell XPS M1730
Core2 Duo T9300 2.5ghz/800mhz
4gb 667mhz DDR2 sdram shared dual channel
nvidia SLI dual geforce 8800m GTX with 1gb GDDR3 memory
or cheaper video card:
nvidia SLI dual geforce 8700MGT with 512mb GDDR3 memory

I'd like to get the best video card I can get (or afford!). But I notice there are two completely different series in the above-mentioned laptops. Is the 3600 more of a gaming VGA?

Did I mention I'm not the most computer-literate person?
(-:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the geforce cards are all gaming cards, so you may get display problems. It's worth checking up on before buying.

bc.
CAD2 Imagine Workstation
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Thanks for the reply.
I think Solid Edge used to have recommended hardware specs on their old UGS website. Was just on the Siemens website and didn't have any luck.

As beachcomber said, the GeForce cards are gaming cards; the Quadro cards are professional (CAD) cards. You can run SE on a GeForce, but you may get some performance issues.

If this new laptop is running Vista, you can get a DirectX version of SE. In that case, the GeForce cards are better because they are tailored to handling DirectX whereas Quadro are better at OpenGL.

--Scott

One of the recommended and most popular laptops for SolidWorks is/was the Dell M90. It is being supplanted by the Dell M6300. I'm sure it would also be good for Solid Edge.

[cheers]

Rustang, we were talking to Siemans just yesterday and from what they said that information should still be on there. If you can't find it but have maintenance give GTAC a call.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back