Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best metal spinning out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexMFG

Industrial
Sep 5, 2007
US
Hi,

I have an application we're thinking of having spun (or flow formed, or flow turned, or whatever they call it).

What are some of the best tolerances you've seen for metal spinning, flowturning, etc.

BTW, my company has ZERO experience in designing parts for spinning/flowturning.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please be a little more specific about your particular application.

We use aluminum spinnings all the time - we're not so much concerned with the dimensional tolerances of the spinning itself, but more the secondary features (thru holes, threaded holes, etc.) that we put into the spinning. Using fixturing we're able to control the locational tolerances of the secondary features very closely.

Spinnings can be extremely accurate and repeatable.. However, the tooling required for obtaining dimensionally accurate spinnings in a repeatable fashion can be costly.. It really comes down to how tight are the tolerances that you need to meet?

Tolerances in flowforming or spinning depend to a large extent on:
diameter
material thickness (before & after forming)
finished part length
smooth or toothed inner wall

If you can provide some additional description of the part you have in mind, I can provide better feedback. Without knowing which surface/dimension is critical and what size range you're in, it's difficult to answer your question.
Regards,
bvasa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back