Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best method of Integrating a sensor/wire into an existing model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny17

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2012
GB
Hi all,
I am looking for the best method of modifying a solid structure on ABAQUS. Currently I have a model of a knee implant but I wish to implant a sensor/wire within the structure of the model as if it had been integrated during the casting process or such like. Would it be better to create another part and somehow put this inside the original model or to try and edit part of the original model.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition to this is there a way to select a thin section of elements and change their material properties, for instance if it had been cast that way.

Do you want the wire to be solid or wire elements?

If wire you need to have an internal edge in the geometry that would be associated with the wire. This can be accomplished by splitting the part with the appropriate surfaces.

If you need solid elements model the wire and perform Boolean operations to create the embedded wire. Be sure to retain the boundary edges.

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

It would ideally be a solid element. Can you expand what you mean when you say perform Boolean operations? How would this be done. Thanks

"..select a thin section of elements.."

If its in the exterior, then it should be easy with mouse clicks. However, if its in the interior, then it gets a little tricky. Here's how I do it:

a. Go to Mesh module and choose Part (not Assembly) if its an orphan or dependent mesh
b. Edit Mesh and go Element
c. Delete elements that you do not want and then select the surface of elements you are interested in.
d. Undo element deletion.

You have a surface of interior elements!

Rob: Aren't you also supposed to use the "embedded region" constraint? It's been a while but I think that's what I had to use.

Once you merge the solids they share nodes at the boundaries forming a perfect connection. This is less computationally demanding because it does not introduce a nonlinearity and does not require a tie constraint or contact. This however does not allow for any slippage between the solids. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back