Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best option for portable drill rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

naimjnpierre

Civil/Environmental
Dec 12, 2007
LC
Looking for advice on drilling in mountanous areas. I am new to this so your advice would be helpful. My country is very mountainous and most sites are not easily accessed. The soil types range from sand and soft clay soils to tough basalt rock. We need a small rig that can be transported by a single cab pickup van and assembled by two workers. The drill depths required range from 5 – 30m. Any recommendations on the most appropriate type of drill to get samples and SPT tests?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For your applications I would consider a tripod rig. Fully manual, fully transportable. Will have a practical depth limit of about 40 to 50 feet.

I've seen small diamond rigs that come apart and one can manhandle the parts. I'll try to remember the drilling company - Indonesia - that had this . . . These rigs will do soil testing and rock coring

Hello,
i am trying to fabricate helical blades for screw piles from 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick steel plates. I need to purchase a press to form the helix shape. Can someone advise on a suitable equipment to deform up to 1 inch steel plates?

Hi
we are ground investigation contractors in the republic of Georgia and are used to poor access mountainous locations we do not have a heli-portable option here. There are lots of rigs available and I will try to help help, please give some more information- what do yo need to do

I guess this is where my experience working for a company who is very outdated comes in!

I have done a LOT of jobs in mountainous regions where we've air lifted a portable rig called a "Concore" in. As far as I know, they don't make this particular named rig anymore, but it looks very easy to replicate. If you google the name I do believe you can find some information on it. It can go approximately 40 feet deep in a day through stiff material. If it's very stiff, good luck getting to 30 in the same day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back