Best PDF to DWG Converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjohnsonii

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2011
US
Hey everyone, I was hoping for some help:

I have some 2D floor plans and mechanical PDFs that I need to convert to DWGs so I can edit them.

Is there a reliable PDF - to - DWG converter out there that works?

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never seen a good conversion software that takes scanned PDFs to DWGs. Seems like otherwise you should be able to get the DWGs.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Here's my input-
1. I've heard good things about "ABC Amber" for back-tracking PDF to ACAD if the PDF was created by ACAD as a VECTOR document (AutoCAD native).
2. I use PDF995 for the same purpose, with excellent results.
3. If the file is a TIF or JPG "SCAN" even if it was scanned to PDF, neither of the above will give you vector results. At that point I've had great success with GTX RasterCAD. With that product you have the choice of simply using the scanned image as if it were a native ACAD drawing, as GTX RasterCAD runs as an overlay inside ACAD, and with all of the familiar ICONS, MENU CHOICES and command-line commands, you use it to "Edit" the "Drawing" as if it had been drawn in ACAD. OR- and this is pretty cool, but you have to make sure you select centerline-conversion- you can do a drawing convert and get an 85%+ complete conversion to vector. GTX RasterCAD is NOT FREE (I haven't used it in a few years so you'll have to check for pricing- they were pretty proud of it back then, and I'm confident they still are !). Still, we're in this as professionals, and they expect to be able to sell a product they worked hard to develop...

Ok- I hope the input helped. Good luck and post back here to let us know how it goes !

C.F.

Havent done this in a while, and not sure of a good software, but procedure wise, this helped me:

1. Scan file in highest dpi possible.
2. Clean drawing using despeckle, and orienting it to a perfect 90 degree angle.

This gave me the best results so the software can make a vector line out of your raster blocks.

knowledge is power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back