Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Polymers for Humidity Sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamal_

Materials
Aug 18, 2020
US
I am working on a capacitive humidity sensor, using polymer as a dielectric between two electrodes, does anybody know which polymer would react best to water vapor or water moisture or Rh (Relative Humidity)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe if cellophane is exposed to 100% humidity it will can swell so much that will not return to the same dimensions when dry. It depends on the temperature.

Thanks for your reply. if Cellophane will at 100% Rh, swell and may not come back to its original position, or the reaction time will be very slow, it will not work in my application. , so what do you suggest? Do you have any other suggestions?

You could just buy one; the cost to design, build, and calibrate one would be orders of magnitude more than

From Digikey $22 with ±1% accuracy, which is already less than the engineering time it took to find it.

Or this at $5.29, but ±1.5% accuracy

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks for your reply, we are not hobbyists' and this is not a hobby project for us, we are serious in designing the sensor that will work better than your suggested Sensirion part from Digikey. We have designed the sensors and the probe to read the capacitive sensor with success and we are looking to have expert suggestions to improve our design. If you can suggest your ideas we highly appreciate. Please let us know if you can help.

we are serious in designing the sensor that will work better than your suggested Sensirion part from Digikey. We have designed the sensors and the probe to read the capacitive sensor with success and we are looking to have expert suggestions to improve our design.

You claim to not be hobbyists, and are therefore likely to be students, who are forbidden from posting their coursework questions on this site. A company cannot possibly contemplate designing a "better" humidity sensor and have not even done basic research into dielectrics. Even a cursory literature or patent search would have resulted in a better starting question.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back