Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best Portable Air Compressor 2019 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to be a waste of time to put air into a punctured tire. Put the spare tire on and get the punctured tire repaired.

Look for a compressor rated for continuous duty so that it will run long enough to inflate the tire.

Ted

There is something to be said for a simple tire pump.

tire_pump_ofinze.png

Hi dvd,
thank you for the reply and suggestion isn't this a bit small and would take a lot of time and effort as the car weight is on it.
Regards

There's a massive difference between "flat" and low pressure.

Any of these won't last long enough to inflate a flat tyre workout overheating.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I've got a Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor which is pretty robust. I think it could inflate a completely flat tire in a few minutes. They also make bigger ones. Any that draw over 15 amps will need clips that connect directly to the battery as most vehicles fuse the cigarette lighter plug at 15 amps.

You are going to need a good plug kit too.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

My little sports car came new with no spare tire, not even room for one in the trunk, not even a temp. So, bought a small compressor (plugs into cigarette lighter 12v power port), even smaller than the ones shown in OP's link, and a tubeless tire repair kit. Oh, and a lug wrench and scissor jack. Will probably still end up stranded somewhere if a tire blows, but...the compressor has been tested and will fill a tire from zero to 32 psig in about 10-12 minutes. This was done in three "lifts", stopping to let the unit cool to the touch after 5 minutes of running.

do you want a compressor … putting air into a tire with a hole in it seems quite pointless,
or do you want one of those leak repair cans like "Slime 50057 Smart Spair, Emergency Tire Repair Kit".

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I repaired two tires just yesterday, both screws. Got one in my summer rim (passenger rear), so I decided it was time to swap out for winter tires anyway. Two weeks later got another one in the same rim on the winter.

Patch kit from AutoZone, followed by a LOT of repititous motion with the bike pump... even had the munchkin come out and pump for a while. Reminded me how badly I could use a portable air compressor. The bike pump works, but my arms are SORE!

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I have had good results with liquid tire sealers, particularly that Green Slime. It will seal quite large punctures and has never caused a tire balance problem for me, I believe it must act like a liquid balancer or else it would create problems. It is alot simpler and faster to use a can of fix-a-flat to get to the next service station than to change the tire. What do others here know, or feel about it?

The slime products will kill your TPMS sensors that are mandatory on newer cars.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

They also prevent the tyre being repaired as they can't vulcanise the rubber plugs apparently as the dried "gunge" releases toxic chemicals. At least that's what happened to me a couple of times

So as a "get you home" it works, but at the cost of a new tyre.
These mini compressors need some care though as btrueblood says - it can take a stop go approach of a few minutes on few minutes off to avoid melting the compressor or motor.

I would only get one which has exposed cooling fins on the compressor.

None of the units seem to have any motor cooling and I would avoid those plastic packaged units - might be neat and tidy but won't do much more than pump up a few types by a few psi.

These are simply not designed for more than 5 to 10 mins continuous use.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The slime doesn't work if the sidewall is blown out. Then again neither will a pump. Cheapest solution is to keep the spare inflated properly. 2nd cheapest is to learn to find and repair a small leak in the tire with a $9 kit.

I used to own one of these for the jump starter but the compressor works well too: Link

One problem with older tires is the rubber continues to cross-link and becomes less pliable. Eventually, especially when it gets cold, the seal with the rim becomes compromised and the air will leak out at a generally slow, but still annoying rate. Dismounting the tires and polishing the bead area of the rim might help or some type of bead adhesive.

Littleinch - I came home one day to find my wife carefully examining the instructions on a can of "flat-fix" while standing next to a completely flattened tire. This tire had had a very slow leak and I had suggested when she filled the tank with gas that she fill the tire with air. She did not. However this was not the sole reason the tire was flat. I asked if she had examined the tire. She had not. On the side facing outwards there were two holes in the sidewall, about an inch long each. I asked if she thought it was a fair task to set the flat-fix to mend. I did not check for holes on the other side as it seemed unnecessary.

The reason for the appearance of these holes was that up the block someone had their sewer lateral repaired, during which the road surface was cut from curb to the center of the road. Instead of completely filling the slot they left it about 5 inches deep with sharp corners on the asphalt sides. Bone jarring from fully inflated tires. Fatal to those less than full.

I do wonder if an airhose with fill fittings on both ends and long enough to reach from tire-to-tire might be a worthwhile addition. If one tire is low, or flat but repaired, then the redistribution would be enough to escape to a place with a compressor. The hose itself could be very small in section. Restriction of a small diameter for this use would not be a problem; the fittings would need local valves to shut them off.

>They also prevent the tyre being repaired as they can't vulcanise the rubber plugs

I thought vulcanizing was a hot process because when I was a kid, late 50's early 1960's, I remember repairing car, bike and tractor tire inner tubes (all of our vehicles still had them) with a hot patch that was held in place by a C-clamp fixture and which vulcanized the rubber patch when the 1/4" of material in the tin behind the rubber patch was ignited with a match which temporarily made the rubber patch quite hot. But I haven't see those in decades.

And I've never seen a vulcanizing rubber plug - only insert-cold rubber plugs.

Or maybe you mean cold-vulcanizing? What constitutes "vulcanizing rubber plugs"?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back