Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practice Hydrant Test Data EPANET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjfarrell

Civil/Environmental
Feb 28, 2019
US
Hi guys, I am having some trouble getting pressures/flow to match the field test.

What is the best practice to model these test flows?
Reservoir to pump to node where the hydrant is?

Or Tank to node where the hydrant is

As an example one test location is 1244 gpm static pressure 102 psi and residual of 79 psi
I cant seem to get the flow/pressure correct at the first node where the hydrant is.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Set a demand at the hydrant equal to the tested flow results.
Then figure out where the difference is, if the pressure is higher than expected, are all the pipes in the major flows new and clean, increase C value. Default is 100, brand new can be as high as 140
If pressure is lower than expected, and the pipes are old and rough, decrease C value.
If pressure is significantly lower than expected, is there a closed valve? or how reliable is the data on pipe sizes, materials and lengths.

Hydrae

Unless you have the entire distribution system (mains, PRVs, reservoirs, etc.) modeled, generally I would model the immediate vicinity of the project and then use a reservoir and pump, connected at the flow-tested hydrant, to simulate the distribution system that feeds the area. The pump curve uses your flow test data to set 3 points on the curve: static pressure at zero flow, the tested flow and residual pressure, and then you can use NFPA formulas to calc the available flow at the minimum allowed pressure (often 20 psi).

This thread describes it in a little more detail:

#

Thanks guys, I'll give this a shot.

I think it's a one or the other as far as methods go, So I'll try each one and see how the model responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back