Best Practise - Decommissioning of pressure vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER_Azza

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2018
AU
Hi All
Have an old redundant and decommissioned air receiver on-site.
Apart from the de-registration process, we normally disconnect any pipework connections to the vessel to ensure no possibility of leak product into it.
Seems to be the best practise at many places I had work. But I never find this practise being stated and recommended or required in any standard or legislation.
Is there any? Appreciate any feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Decommissioning or preservation? What problem you are trying to solve? To save owner's assets? To impose an order on-site? To prepare for selling / recycling?

Just a general query. The vessel in this case would probably be old and not in the condition to be in service.
Won't be doing anything in the short term.

What you're talking about really is forms of isolation.

This usually turns up in company procedures or maybe some safety organisation wherever you are.

You're talking positive isolation so a spectacle blind or. Spade would do the same, but physical gap is even better.

E.g. Download this guide for free.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks all.

When I was working for BP, they specifically had the procedure to "air gap" redundant equipment.
So too when I was working at remote processing plants.

Just that there was never any reference to any legislation or standard the requirement for this, though it is logical.
Did a bit of search and could not find any specific info on this.

So I thought I asked you "guru" out there that might know a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

ER Azza said:
they specifically had the procedure to "air gap" redundant equipment.
The "air gap" is the most robust option for positive isolation from pressure sources. I have validated this on myself many times.

image.png

taken from

Normally, the proper process isolation of the abandoned equipment or piping is the safety concern for the operation. The Company may prepare the required guidelines how to handle it to comply with the local City and County Authorities regarding the specific rules imposed to the industrial facilities.

The legislation will be under general safety regulations and couched in general terms such as a duty to ensure that equipment connected to a pressure source is able to "safely" contain the fluid. Once it isn't able to then you need to adequately isolate it.

Legislation and standards rarely tell you how to do things, just what the end purpose or effect it as there are too many variables.

Hence things like the guidance from the UK HSE which I linked to before and then companies make their own procedures and practices depending on the fluid, pressure, temperature etc.

The whole issue of redundant or "mothballed" equipment is so vague and ill defined and variable that the legislation doesn't even try to come up with definitive wording and actions, but sets safety requirements instead.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back