Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best PV Design Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiller

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2002
US
I'm sure there will be a few biased comments here, but can anyone please advise which is the best pressure vessel design software. As a minimun the software must be able to design to ASME VIII div1 & PD5500. All other codes will be a bonus. eg Stoomwezen, AD-Merkblatter, TEMA

With everyone's help we might be able to do a pro & cons of each sofware. i.e. a comparison of costs, usability, design coverage etc etc

Appreciate everyone's advise.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Members

What is the best Pressure Vessel Softeare Program for the Design of Sphere Tank: ASME SECTION VIII, DIV. 2. (Not two HEMISPHERICAH HEADS)?

Leonard

The question simply asked: what software is appropriate for PD5500, ASME Div1, TEMA and any other codes. The issue of cost was also raised. If that is the question, then the answer should be framed accordingly.

Firstly, PD 5500 is important to those wishing to enter the European market, being able to compete of a level footing with the design methods used there. Performing calculations per this code can be extremely tedious, especially nozzle reinforcement, and even head thicknesses, as simple formulae are not used.

There are a number of software packages that do this type of analyis which have been mentioned by others replying to the question (remember the question).

Compress does not perform PD 5500 calculations, and performing tubesheet calculations to TEMA requires the purchase of an extra module. The same applies to Finglow which also involves the purchaser in buying the programme module by module. Also, these days, fatigue analysis is required for risk analysis, although this point was not part of the question.

As far as costs are concerned, the basic packages run fairly close to one another ($4000 to $5000 ballpark). However, what does the basic software include? Much of the software requires the purchase of additional modules each increasing the cost of the software and maintenance. What software is sold with everything complete all in one package. Well PVElite does, plus the fact that it performs analyses to ASME Div 1 & 2. PD 5500, TEMA and also will perform fatigue analysis (to PD 5500).

The choice of any commodity is based on cut, fit and style. That is how we buy shoes and cars. It probably applies to software. I use PD 5500 frequently, and it is being called for more and more by those interested in the European market.

Chiller,

I know PVElite does the design per PD 5500 and ASME Sec VIII Div 1,2, TEMA. But, check their website, . They have a working demo, user testimonials, design capability, sample output, pricing ...

Before your decide, try the demo of all the programs you are considering and model a real job on them. This will give you first hand experience with the software.

ab1234, contact COADE's technical support, they are good in replying promptly. Check their latest versions, may be these issues are already addressed.

Regards,
Mandy

Chiller,
I agree with Mandy that it is important to try all programmes before purchasing. We have PVElite and PVE5. We bought the PVElite for some ASME work and it is very good. However it does have gaps in the PD5500 and is not as good as the PVE5 for that code. Demo's are one thing but I would recommend taking the programmes on for evaluation that is why we went to CEA they gave 30 days of both programmes for a very reasonable fee and helped us with rentals of programmes for other codes. We have used CEA in UK, Holland and france but they do have offices elsewhere.
their site is
try it before you buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back