Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Return to Engineering Path 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtp

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2011
US
Thanks in advance to you all for your upcoming suggestions. I have read several other threads that were similar in some respects, and really thought the assistance from everyone was great. This is a great community.

Anyway, my situation appears somewhat unique on this forum, as I have a BSME and seven or eight years of experience in different engineering capacities, but a seventeen year gap of relevant engineering work. Kids, other jobs, a very well paid wife that traveled extensively, stay at home father, make me less attractive to potential employers as a Mechanical Engineer. I am 49 and want to return to mechanical engineering, but need to find what path might help prepare me for employers best: continuing education, certificate courses, or something else.

I don't have to find a job now, but really need to find a path to engineering again. I don't think a quick refresher course in a 3D modeling class would do it, but I don't know. I am not against pursuing an advanced degree in engineering or computer science, and have read some great comments about other older students. I am not set on anything, other than wanting to get back into engineering completely. Stints in other fields has not fostered my engineering knowledge, but has strengthened my desire to return to it.

Again, I am not pushed by immediacy, although a clear direction would be great. Please shoot me your ideas for the best ways a mechanical engineer can prepare himself for engineering after such a lapse, and at my age. Life does throw us curve balls every now and then, doesn't it?

Thanks to all that read and comment on this thread.

Kurt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Peter and Chris. I imagine solid modeling is really important now, and knowing how to use it and its capabilities is vital to many employers. I want to learn one of these programs (ProE, SolidWorks, ???), but don't want to only work modeling. It will certainly be an asset to my resume, but I would like to be more attractive to engineering employers in other ways too. Good 3D modelers are really amazing. The ones I have known ate, drank, and dreampt 3D modeling. I would love to know capabilities and how to model parts/assemblies, but want to use my mind in other engineering ways too. I am pretty good at and enjoy problem solving through analysis, or off-the-cuff if needed.

Wow, what a run on paragraph that was. Sorry. Keep your ideas coming please. They all help me form my return to engineering.

Kurt

Northern San Diego eh... you may be interested in USC's distance programs. I have considered it on a few occasions.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Thanks Dustin. How do you view the distance programs and/or SolidWorks for my situation? I appreciate your opinion since you have considered one and work with the other.

Thanks.

Kurt

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back