Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best software for automatic mid-surface extraction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenod

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2010
SE
To extract a middle surface from a solid part can be extremely time consuming and most softwares I've tried which offer automatic extraction leaves me with a model that needs hours of work.

Any tips for programs that can handle automatic mid-surface extraction so I can compare with the ones I am currently using (Altair HyperMesh and ANSA)?

Best regards,
Mikael Arvidsson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thx Johnhors, Cadfix is now on my list on programs to evaluate.

Know of any more? This is a big project so we'd like to test and evaluate as many softwares as possible.

I use Femap in conjunction with Nei Nastran and extract midsurfaces all of the time. Femap has a midsurface sub menu under Geometry and it is very fast and powerful. If you use the Automatic command in the sub menu it will extract the mid surfaces and clean them up for you.

Thanks all!

Some of your tips were new to me and others I had found through extensive googling =) They are now all included in our search for good software.

The project is now off my desk and someone else will be responsible for actually evaluating the programs. The topic is thus concluded for me, but I welcome further discussion of the topic for those who are interested.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back