Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best technical textbooks on casting (specifically investment casting)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthmode123

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2021
US
Best technical textbooks on casting (specifically investment casting)? I'm looking for a good technical textbooks on casting in general, but I'm specifically interested in investment casting using ceramics for metals such as steel. But I'm open to any general book on casting design

Edit: Thanks! :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A please or a thank you might get a better response.....

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

stealthmode123,

Are you going to specify investment casting, or do investment casting?

If you are designing for it, read Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly by Geoffrey Boothroyd, Peter Dewhurst, Winston A. Knight. This is a good reference for any sort of product design.

Your next step is to talk to your vendors, or to potential vendors. Many of them have design guides up on their websites. Talking to vendors is absolutely basic DFMA.

Search your local library. I saw a book in a library on how to do sand castings at home. Apparently, you can use your car to compress your sand. There may be something similar out there on investment casting.

--
JHG

drawoh,

I will be doing the investment casting on the manufacturing side, not designing for it. I'm new to casting, was looking for technical resources to go over gating etc. Excellent book you linked by the way, I just purchased a hard copy myself.

Thanks

"Principles of Metal Casting" Heine,Loper and Rosenthal.

American Foundryman Society has a book store and you could buy your books.

Similarly ASM Handbook on Castings.

This should keep you busy for the next few months at least.

arunmrao,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out, looks like a good place to build my fundamentals. The book looks like its a bit old (1967). I'm particularly interested in 3D printing for wax patterns. Any other textbooks you know that go a bit into that?

Since there are only a few people making machines to AM wax for IC you will likely need to get info either from the manufacturers of the machines or papers from a fairly recent technical conference.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Solidscape500 is a very good option. We are actively considering this. The only drawback is the cost of wax and they are not open-sourced.

A few good filaments have been developed, with low ash content and moisture content suitable for investment casting.

Stratasys and few others can also help you.

Additionally, AFS had conducted 2 conferences on Additive Manufacturing. I had attended them, perhaps you could request proceedings of these conferences from AFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back