Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREIF

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2001
US
what is the best video cards for solidworks? please list top 3 in order. we are getting new systems and want to make sure we get a great card in them.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really depends on the type of systems you get, and user preference, plus how deep your pockets are. I would list them as:

1) Elsa- Gloria III
2) 3Dlabs- GVX1
3) Intense 3D- Wildcat 4110 "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I wish I knew what was the best video card too.

I use the 3D Labs Oxygen card which works but has some annoying characteristics. See my recent e-drawings posting and MadMango's reply.

Hi all,

I always recommend the Oxygen GVX-1 card, and not the VX-1. I used a Nvidia Viper 770 for years and I fought with that card. As soon as I switched to the Oxygen GVX-1 my problems went away.

The Geforce cards have came a long way since that Nvidia card I used. I have the Geforce Ultra 2 at home and it does alright, but put that card next to my Oxygen and the contest over. The Oxygen out performs my Geforce (in my opinion) by far. When I rotate my assembly (in SW01 and not +) I get jumps with my Geforce, but with my Oxygen I get a smooth rotation.

The Question you asked was what is the best card for SW and I would say the Oxygen GVX-1. As for tstanley's problem with edrawings it could be anything not necessarily his Video card. Before I bought a new system I would ask some questions to the manufacturer, if such a card will work with your basis system you plan to buy. Nothing is more irritating then getting a new PC and something in the heap is not compatible.

What do you manufacture there?
That can make a difference to how powerful of a card you will need.

Other cards to look at:
Elsa Golria's
Geforce
Wildcat's

Hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

What about ATI Radeon ?

Little offtopic:
1. Can dual display (output on 2 monitors) be useful in application like SW ?
2. Is it better to have lot of RAM on graphic card if I don't use any textures ? How much is enough for res. 1280x1024 in 32bit color ?

From what I have always heard (no hard evidence to back this up), it's best to stay away from the ATI Radeon at all costs. It's a nice card, but really isn't up to the task of handling industrial grade graphics that most CAD software creates. For PhotoShop and QuarkXpress it's fine though (plus games).

The more RAM you have on the graphic card, the less your machine will use your system RAM, which is always a good thing. As far as resolution, that depends on the user and your monitor. If you can see your controls at 1600x1200 and 32-bit True Color, and your monitor can handle it, go for it!

I work on a 19" ViewSonic at 1280x1024 and 32-bit True Color, and I like this combo a lot. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

This is the way I see it: I got this from someone in comp.cad.solidworks.

The rule is not to use a card that connotes violence like Rage, Fury, Voodoo. If you are doing serious CAD, get a card designed for CAD. Get something like the Oxygen or Elsa cards.

Clip->1. Can dual display (output on 2 monitors) be useful in application like SW?

That depends on what it is your building. Like Airplanes - probably so. Huge structures and then you having 2 monitors so you can see it could be useful. But most of the people I know using SW on one monitor will suffice. I build huge buildings and structures and one monitor suits me fine.

So to answer your question....it depends on what you plan to use it for.

Clip->2. Is it better to have lot of RAM on graphic card if I don't use any textures? How much is enough for res. 1280x1024 in 32bit color?

MadMango answer this one well enough but I'll add this to it.
At home I have a 22" monitor :-D (Very Sweet!!) I use 1600x1200 Res. with 32 bit True Color 85Mhz. That is with a Geforce 2 Ultra.
At Work I use an Oxygen GVX-1 Pro and I can only use a 1280x1024 :-( 32 bit True 85 Mhz.

Cheers, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back