Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best way to convert 400 VAC environmental chamber to 480 VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambria

Electrical
Jun 16, 2005
US
I am considering purchase of an evironmental chamber that is 400 VAC 50 hz. I have 208 and 480 VAC in the shop. The chamber basically is an oven and a refrigerator, so lots of stuff including control electronics.

If it was a simple device the 400/50 matches up with 480/60hz, but it is not so simple.Whats the best approach? Variable Freq drive, transformers, or simply dont bother?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That requires me to dig in a separate lines, I suppose I can do that, sounds cumbersome. The VFD wont do the whole deal?

You could do it the old fashioned way with a rotary converter. 480v/60hz to 416V/50hz is a common spec.

Unless you are getting a very good price on the unit, or there is some other equally valid motivation, you might be better off to pass on this one and locate a chamber that works on the voltage you have available.

VFD would not be a good option for the entire system. Transistor based systems do not like sudden changes in load, i.e. a heater contactor switching on and off. If you use an SCR power controller for the heater, it will not like being fed by the PWM output of the VFD.

Your real choices (other than finding one built for US power) are to separate the systems as previously suggested, or the M-G set approach.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Well it sounds like the best thing to do is forget it. The original idea was sound, but the power issues are not simple, and yes, by the time one is finished with all of the converters you are into thousands just for the power.

Thanks for the input, better to stop this train before it goes over the cliff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back