Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to get into Petroleum Engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay94

Specifier/Regulator
Sep 15, 2012
I am currently a senior in high school seeking a career in petroleum engineering.Regarding a college that doesnt offer a petroleum engineering program specifically,which engineering discipline will give me the best possible chance at a career in petroleum engineering? All useful comments are appreicated and will be taken into much consideration.Seeking the best possible advice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many people working as Petroleum Engineers have ME degrees. But all of these people are at a disadvantage at the job-interview stage compared to people with PE degrees.

It sounds like you've selected a University. BAD move. You know they don't have PE, does anyone from the industry recruit on campus? My guess is if they do they are looking for something other than Engineers and as an Engineer you won't even get an interview. If you want to be a PE then find a damn school that offers it. The best are Colorado School of Mines, Texas A&M, University of Tulsa, Tulane, University of Texas, Texas Tech, and University of Oklahoma. There are probably two dozen lesser-known PE programs and several of them are every bit as good as the list above.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Not close to choosing a university.Teachers here were on strike for the past week so school has been out.But im guessing we will start applying for colleges in about 2 weeks or so.I am trying to decide between biomedical and petroleum engineering as my intended major.With the current trend of the economy,both job and financial security in mind,I think PE is the better option.Im just speaking hypothetically that if I was to end up at a school were PE isnt offerred as a major,what other engineering discipline could allow me to pursue a PE career?Im considering U of I at Urbana as my first in state option and LSU(which has PE as a major) as one of my out of state options.Concerning job recruitment of engineers for either of these schools,I have no idea.

The industry definitely recruits at LSU. As to Illinois, you need to call the school and get hooked up with the Guidance Counselling Department (your high school counselor should be able to get you contacts). Just ask what companies do on-campus recruiting and what industries they represent. That is no guarantee that those industries will still be on campus in 4 or 5 years, but it is a start.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.

Thanks.Regarding the major,I've heard some say that chemical eng degree could get you into the oil industry,while others say mechanical can as well. sure you're a man with experience,so what is the truth behind this?

Chem Eng graduates are certainly the majority of Engineers in Refineries. Some people call Refining part of the industry (actually everyone does), but it looks like the least fun part of the industry to me. There are a number of Chem Eng grads that dodge that refining bullet and go into upstream, but they are reasonably rare. I think I know about the same number of people in upstream with Industrial Engineering degrees as I do with Chem Eng degrees, neither number is very large and I know a lot of people in the industry.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Ok.So basically youre saying that if you dont have a degree in PE specifically,then chances of getting or starting in upstream are slim?

If you attend a school that the industry uses to supply entry-level PE's, then they will interview ME's, IE's, ChemEng's, CE's and PE's for those positions. Chances are good for any of them that have good grades and show an interest. In schools where the industry doesn't recruit PE's (like the school I went to), they may recruit other disciplines and it is just luck of the draw if you get an interview with someone who gives you a second look (I was lucky and the computer guy that Amoco sent had an idea of another area that might need me). If you go to a school that the industry ignores (and there are a lot of these) then it gets tougher.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

David, systems engineering is something that really appealed to me when i looked at it a few years back and apparently subsea systems engineering is a really niche area in O&G with good looking prospects. Just wondering what your read on this was? Being niche and sought after would command high salaries as well I would presume

Sorry to hijack thread OP!

"Systems Engineering" means whatever the person who writes it down wants it to be. I've seen it applied to integration tasks within a program-development project. I've seen it mean making the parts of a plant work together. Even the degree programs are confused. Make sure you know what you've getting into prior to starting the degree or interviewing for that job.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Thanks for the fast reply david

Specifically it was told that "flow assurance" under the subsea systems engineerumbrella was a good area. But i supose flow assurance could be vague as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back