Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to start out in 3D printing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just exactly what do you intend to make with 3D printing? Is your application for a metal part, or a plastic part? Have you established the cost basis required for producing this part using 3D printing?

As tbuelna stated, what is your specific application or goals for 3d printing? There are some advantages to different types of machines. But there can be some big trade offs (with accuracy, layer height, speed, post processing, materials, etc) with cost. For instance I print in ABS plastic, my accuracy is .5mm, layer hight of .2mm, prints can take hours upon hours, and some post processing is necessary to clean up the edges. However I built the machine for under 1k.

That's kind of like saying "Stay away from CAD systems, they crash the main frame" 40 years ago. ;-)

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Clear goals need to be established before picking the method to achieve them.

To be fair, I work with a University that has many makes and models of 3D printers from consumer to metal. There's not a day that goes by that at least one service tech is on site. It's the nature of the beast it seems like. The only machine that is up 90% of the time just happens to be a 3D System's SLA machine.

I think the following 3 tips are useful:
1.The materials:plastic such as ABS\PC\nylon\ultem,metal such as stainless steel,Ti alloy,and composit materials;
2.The principle:FDM,SLS,use laser or use hot tip;
3.Different purposes:part made for design,for function test,end-use part.

We are on our 2nd Dimension machine in 11 or 12 years. Current machine is a Dimension BST 1200es (FDM, will only run ABS). Love it. Few issues, little down time. I will be staying with this category and manufacturer until Star Trek replicators become available, and then only if it will do London Broil and a good Scotch!

Like others have mentioned, you need to decide based on the material, the process, and the application of your finished parts.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back