Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best ways to leave an employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegraduate

Civil/Environmental
Oct 27, 2008
AU
Hi all,

My partner is completing her Masters this year and unfortunately she did not receive a first round placement at her current University and it is most likely we will have to re-locate.

This will only be for a year and i am confident my current place of employment will either grant me a years leave without pay, or welcome me back if/when we return. However, i have never left a professional job before and am seeking advice from you more experience guys on the correct procedure for doing this.

I am not sure if i should inform management of the possibility of moving, not yet knowing if/when/where. Or if i should wait.

I can most likely get a departmental transfer to the new locations, however i dont want to tread on anyones toes and do want to come back, as i have a good position with great work mates and am gaining great experience.

When i do find out where i am going, i am thinking i should call a meeting with my boss / supervisor and inform them directly, and then send an internal msg around to work colleagues informing them of my situation.

Is this what others would recommend?

Its a scary time for both of us, as we have never moved far away from family and the sense of security of leaving the place we grew up in.

Thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thegraduate,

First I would like to say congratulations to your partner on getting her Masters.

Yes, moving can be a scary time but it can also lead to opportunities to learn & grow. I have moved several times and I must say the first rule (and it sounds like you understand it) is "never burn any bridges!" I obtained my present position from contacts that I hadn't talked to for years but when I moved back to the area they were the ones who recommended me to management.

I would, however, wait until you know where you are going and then do exactly what you said "i am thinking i should call a meeting with my boss / supervisor and inform them directly." Just be honest, people understand moves for family and my experience is they will help you when they can (i.e. the job transfer that you discussed) but I would also start looking for new companies in that area.

Good luck!

Anytime you can leave a job not in handcuffs, or feet first, is a good thing.

As Eleceng01 stated, wait until you know when/where and then talk to your boss. Express how much you enjoy working at ______, but your partner's situation requires a temporary move. Make sure you've done your homework regarding any possible transfer positions, etc.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE

Follow me on Twitter

Above all else, retain your composure and professionalism, even if they don't.

You can ask anything, but you must be willing to accept any answer.

Option 1, Buy your partner a really nice congrats gift. Wait until you are certain you are moving, then talk about the possibility of a transfer, but start a simultaneous search for new employment at your new location. Don't talk about coming back just yet. Wait until it's on the horizon. Just talk to the boss. Only tell your co-workers a week or two before you leave. People treat you differently when they know you are leaving. Be happy and gracious no matter what.
Cassie

Option 2, Leave them on short notice, in the dirt, gasping for air and wanting more. Mrs. Robinson. (sorry, couldn't help it)

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

The first question I ask is "Do you need to move with your girlfriend?" and as they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I know that I started my career in different cities to my then girlfriend. I did eventually follow her, but there were numerous professional reasons to do so. I am not sure that I would have quit the job to move if it had been as good had you say.

However, the move was a great excuse and kept the door open.

I respect your decision, whatever you choose. As I am sure your work colleagues will. Be honest with the bosses and tell them early, you get more respect and they may have a solution that is acceptable to you.

Other options are - can your girlfriend defer her masters for a year? Can you play the waiting game and see if a position comes up at the current uni this year?

I agree with tickle, as far as being seperated from her for a while, but I want to add something to that.

If you two are apart then she can focus more of her attention on herself, and her studies ... so therefore maybe take a heavier classload and get the degree completed sooner.

If you are inclined to follow your significant other, then when you know for sure, talk directly with your boss only. It is not necessary to divulge all about your situation or personal decisions to so many in your workplace. Further, if you receive a leave of absence or consideration of a transfer, it can open the door for others to request such and ask for more special treatment from the company. Unless there are written policies that handle each of these situations,I would not share your personal info with your colleagues. Yes,they need to know that you will be leaving, but they only need to know that and not your personal reasons for doing so. If you feel you must tell them something, tell them you are leaving for personal reasons and will likely return, or that you are leaving to pursue another opportunity within the company to obtain different experience (both of which would be true, but would not divulge a lot of extraneous information that they don't really need to know)

Good luck and it is commendable for you to be so supportive of your SO.

Hey Guys,

Firstly, thanks to everyone for offering such great advice.

I still don't have an outcome and have not informed anyone of my leaving.

When i let them know, i'll inform the forum of the outcome.

The best class act I saw, was when a Phila. base oil company manager told a twenty five year loyal, good quality, engineer he was being "de selected" (laid off) as he was working at his desk.
The engineer dropped his pencil, put on his coat and walked out the door not saying a word and never came back into the office.
I still admire that man and take my hat off to him!
JIM

The company I did my internship with had an engineer just walk out on them just before I started. He never said a word to anyone, just stopped coming. It took them several weeks to track him down and find out what was going on. He had a new job, and had moved on.

Anything you do has to be better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back