Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bevel Gear Rating Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

klube

Mechanical
May 16, 2006
US
I'm looking for a good program that is user friendly to calcualte HP ratings of straight and spiral bevel gears. Straight bevels are manufactured using generating process. I have interest in both AGMA ratings as well as ISO/DIN ratings as I deal with US and European customers. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only software that I know of is “KISSSOFT”. I warn you now, it's not cheap and it's not particularly user friendly either. You'll need a very sound knowledge of gearing to get started with it. It uses Klingenberg for its main spiral bevel loading calculations, but it has an option where you can also import Gleason data. The latest version exports the geometry into Inventor, Solidworks and a few others. Here’s the link

Many gear design software are advertised in this
page:

The company called Involute Simulation Softwares has
sold bevel gear software.

Also Gleason has commercial gear software to sell.

Last Oct. at the Fall AGMA technical meeting, AGMA
demonstrated its Bevel gear software, which has a
similar apperance of the its cylindrical gear software.

I'll be very surprised that UTS does not have the bevel
gear rating software.

As a last resort, one can design the bevel gears using
hand calculations based on the just released AGMA two
bevel gear standards.

Thanks for the info. I have been in contact with AGMA since last August. Everytime I talk to them, it is another 2-3 months till it will come out. Now they say development is slow and will not be out till this fall. I've been waiting for this software as it will do both AGMA and ISO/DIN calculations. The problem is that I have a need now, not this fall (or possibly later).

According to the person at UTS, they do not have a bevel gear program to sell. They can run calculations, but no canned software. Gleason, from my understanding is very pricy.

I have the trial version of KISSSoft and I am giving it a try. It fills my void for ISO/DIN ratings for european customers, but does not have the ability for AGMA right now.

I'll check out the Involute Simulation Software.

The problem with bevel gears and spiral bevel gears is that most cutting machine manufactures have differences in how their machines operate, resulting in variations in profiles.

It is extremely difficult to come up with a rating when even the geometry is not clearly defined.

The other issue is that software makers do not see a lucrative market for this problem at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back