Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Big Bang Theory Show - Impact on Science/Engineering 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rconnor

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2009
CA
The general perception of science and engineering in our society plays a pivotal role in defining the future of those fields, both in terms of employment, funding and general development. One of the recent major emissaries of science and engineering in pop culture is the TV sitcom, Big Bang Theory.

I am continually told by those that know me as someone that will use any excuse to advocate for science appreciation and science literacy, that I’d love Big Bang Theory. I’m told that “it’s making science cool again”, that “it humanizes scientists” and that “it’s spreading science to the masses”; they consider the show to have a positive influence on the public’s appreciation or interest in science. This also appears to be echoed by the show runners/writers themselves. So I watched a number of episodes and, unsurprisingly for me, have developed quite a strong opinion on the subject. As my purpose is to gauge the reaction of the engineering community to the show, I’ll withhold giving my take on it until later, in order to not direct or enflame the conversation from the get-go.

So, eng-tips community, what is your take on the impact Big Bang Theory has on the general public’s perception of science and engineering?
1) Positive – the show improves the public’s perception of science, leading to a positive impact on the field
2) Negative – the show is harmful the public’s perception of science, leading to a negative impact on the field
3) Neutral – it’s just a comedy show; it has no significant impact on the field

Regarding the “impact on the field”, I’d consider the following:
- Influences the scientific literacy of the public
- Influences the public’s appreciation of science/scientists
- Influences a young person’s desire to enter a scientific field (male and female are different issues)
- Influences the likelihood the public will advocate for an increase in funding of scientific research

Let me be clear, I’m not here to discuss the merits of it as a comedy show. Certainly whether you find the show funny or not will influence your reaction to the show as a positive, damaging or neutral advocate for science but try to dissociate the two.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a scientist/engineer, it's impossible to be impartial and understand how it appears to those who aren't like me/us. I love it. Apart from the canned laughter track. I don't think it furthers our cause though, just digs the stereotypical images a bit deeper. The continual in-joke about Dr vs MS is probably beyond most.

- Steve

I stooped watching it ages ago merely because of the script writing which I feel had lost all of its charm and repetitive nature of the plots.

It doesn't annoy me like a bad episode of mythbusters does, where they actually claim to be doing an experiment but the experiment has stupid great holes in it (that being said I usually enjoy mythbusters on the rare occasions I watch it). On the other hand BBT does perpetuate science as magic, which is bad with a capital B.

So overall, (3) neutral.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I watch the show mainly for penny.

I think it is positive that higher education comes into play, meaning more young'uns will actually be confronted with it.
As an engineer, I find it annoyingly funny how the other scientifists look down on Wolowitz, as "merely" an engineer. He has been into space, you know...
That said, I agree with GregLocock that Mythbusters is also highly entertaining (again, Kari does add to that).

I'm pro.

i'm somewhere between neutral and negative.

as JohnR posted, i think it takes stereotypes ad absurdum. and now, presumably 'cause the nerds don't have enough appeal, now they all have girl friends. it is suffering from being run for too long ... they've pretty much done everything to everyone.

one episode i liked was when Leonard and Penny were fighting, and Sheldon relived his experiences growing up (in a trailer park in Texas).

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I would say that its impact is positive, and there are subtle clues throughout the show that the producers take it seriously enough to understand that there are actually scientists and engineers in their viewing audience. Take a look at the white boards in the background of a lot of their scenes. The equations are real - and the answers (where shown) are correct. My wife is always asking me, "So, what's that stuff on the board? Is it right?" and I tell her what the equation is and what it's used for. Meanwhile, something is going on in the plot...something about Sheldon being obnoxious and Penny being promiscuous. So, she ends up missing most of the show but she gets a 20 minute lesson in physics. On that basis, I rate it a "1".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the show isn't entertaining or that the characters haven't provided their share of humor, just that it tends to amplify, often to an extreme level, some of the most blatant personality traits that many non-technical people have assigned to 'nerds' and other socially inept persons. Granted, a lot of humor is based on the preceived personalities and behaviors of various groups in our society and so perhaps this time around it simply hits a bit closer to home ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

On balance, i'd say anything that portrays science in a positive light (or a comedic one) is a good thing, even if the stereotypes can be a little excessive.

It must be said that 3 of the 4 characters are PHD academics, so as an engineer I can sort of dissociate myself from THAT stereotype. Except for Wolowitz, who ironically is an engineer, but I dont think most of the audience would see him as one, more like the other "sciency nerds". The engineering faculty at my university certainly has some "raj" types. If the four of them were practising engineers and went to work 9-5 each day, then I'd think the stereotype had gone too far.

Sam
Brisbane, Australia

Young Engineer. American old west enthusiast

Doesn't the saying go "Any publicity is good publicity" if true then based on that alone it's difficult to argue it as too negative.

Certainly it does enforce some stereotypes, although at least some of my colleagues and fellow students when at uni already did that.

Heck, the perceptions of engineers already seems different in the US v UK so how this show could reinforce both perceptions is a bit of a conundrum.

Plus the lead character got the girl, what's not to like about that.

The fact it focuses on an Academic situation rather than industry may mislead somewhat on the Engineering front but in reality the only Engineer on the show is really just a supporting character.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

To me one of the funniest scenes on the show was when all of the main characters (except Penny) were in the office of the department chairman/dean/whatever. The chairman addressed each of them in turn, "good morning Dr. Cooper, Dr. Kuthrapali, Dr. Hoffstadter, [bold]Mr.[/bold] Wolowitz". To which Howard replied "I have a Master's degree!" And the chairman flippantly said "Who doesn't?". That is [italic]exactly[/italic] the type of attitude many department chairmen that I've known have had. They view a Master's degree as a consolation prize for the people who weren't able to cut it in the Ph.D. program. I don't share this attitude, but I laughed for a while at that scene because they captured it so perfectly.

I'm pro. It's a great show that provides exposure of fairly sophisticated physics concepts to young viewers who probably would not be exposed to it otherwise. And they manage to do it in a very entertaining way. So what if it overemphasizes the stereotypes of scientists/nerds/geeks/etc? If you're an engineer and you can't find somebody you personally know that reminds you in some way of one of the characters on the show, they you're not looking very hard.

Maui

I don't want my kids to watch it. Too much implied sexual content.

The amount of actual science is very small, and it has become just another sit com, with just a different twist.

However it has given science, and science fiction people a place to be seen (Brent Spiner, etc.). However, it dosen't seem to have a best view of engineers.

OK, using your criteria:

- Influences the scientific literacy of the public
No, it's a comedy, not educational TV.

- Influences the public’s appreciation of science/scientists

Yeah, the characters are all dumb TV stereotypes, but they're a lot more like human beings than MOST characterizations of scientists you see on TV.

- Influences a young person’s desire to enter a scientific field (male and female are different issues)

I'd say that the show's underlying message to kids who are already naturally drawn to science etc. is that you can have a community and be loved without having to pretend that you're stupid just to fit in. Being a geek is cool in its own way. That's a message that LOTS of bright kids need to hear, loud and clear, over and over again, because the overwhelming din of their peers and society at large is a message entirely contradictory to that. Most kids don't even survive middle school with their natural passion for science intact.

- Influences the likelihood the public will advocate for an increase in funding of scientific research

No, they don't moralize about how valuable science is to society- and they do their work because it's what they're interested in and what they love, not because it's going to make them rich or there's some burning need for their work to solve some dire problem facing mankind. Does that make it more likely that the public will support pure research? Doubtful, but isn't that asking a lot about a TV comedy?

If you compare it with other comedy shows set in more or less work related contexts then I think it quickly rises above the average, and as Moltenmetal says, at least they are depicted actively doing what they are good at because they enjoy it and get something out of it.

Becker - what do you learn about being a doctor?

2.5 dumbasses - what do you learn about songwriting?

Teachers - actually amazingly accurate depiction of life in the UK state system, apparently.

Cheers- yes, working in a pub is just like that.

Porridge? Steptoe and Son? On the Buses?

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

If you want a fairly recent comparison for Scientists/Engineers/Technicians then you could look at
I only caught a couple of episodes but from memory I'd say the Big Bang's treatment of Scientists is fairly flattering in comparison.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Teamtoken (Automotive) said:
Except for Wolowitz, who ironically is an engineer, but I dont think most of the audience would see him as one, more like the other "sciency nerds".

I don't think so, Cooper is a theoretical physicist, Hofstaedtler works with lasers and god knows what Raj does, but Wolowitz is the only one who actually makes things, like mechanical parts of the toilet on a spaceship.

Confession. My daughter sent me an Amazon voucher for my recent birthday and I blew it on BBT season 6, which has just come out on DVD in my region. It's still in its packaging, but I plan to open it tonight. I did see a few of them on obscure UK TV channels, but I kind of like closing the curtains, locking the doors and watching a whole series, end to end. I did the whole League Of Gentlemen, including the movie in a single week.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back