Bilinear isotropic material property

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmandis

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2007
US
Hi,
I am trying to model a composite tube with bilinear isotropic material property in ANSYS WB which gets crushed under impact using. After I run the simulation the material tends to act as a spring. Wanted to know if this is the way it is supposed to behave? and how can I make the tube deform only in one direction and not spring back?

Thanks,
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

David,

It sounds like your trying to run a fairly complex analysis. If your asking the question should a solid tube being impacted behave like a spring, your missing some very basic mechanics of solids backround. The answer is, yes it behaves like a spring if the stresses encountered are below its yield strength.
I would assumed that since you said this component gets 'crushed' it is experiencing stresses in excess of its yield point. If it is springing back to its undeformed length then there is something wrong with the analysis. Asking an open ended question such as "how can I make the tube deform only in one direction and not spring back?"
without talking about how you set up your problem or what you know and don't know will not get you any useful responses.
I haven't done much analysis work on this type of problem. However, have you considered buckling modes of failure? What kind of analysis did you run? Please be more specific in your problem set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back