Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bilinear Isptropic Hardening ? Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhdak88

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2012
AE
Dear All,

I am running a Impact (Dynamic/ Explicit) Simulation, A Modeling of Charpy Impact Test; A striker hitting a specimen. However, I am kind of having problem in setting the material Properties.

The Material Properties should be :

Steel Alloy 4140 with Young’s modulus of elasticity 207 GPa, yield strength of 655 MPa, Possions ratio of 0.3 and ultimate tensile strength 1020 MPa at room conditions (25 °C). USE bilinear isotropic hardening (a piecewise linear plasticity model).

Now, I know how to insert simple properties such as Density, Elasticity and Plasticity. But i am blank about 'Bilinear Isotrpoic Hardening'..

My question is a simple one:

Can someone tell me how and where should i insert these properties in the Material Properties (Step by Step)?

Thank you,
Fhd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Fhd.

Let me see if I can help you out here.

If I understand correctly, you want to add a second linear branch to your material constitutive relation, which would correspond to hardening.

I think the answer is to simply add a second line to the *Plastic command, where you introduce the ultimate strength and strain (which you don't mention in your question, i'll name it eu).

Example:
*Plastic
655, 0
1020, eu

Further, maybe you should consider using true stress and strain definition, which I am not sure you considered so far.

Good luck,
Pirs

Adding to my previous answer, eu is defined as the plastic strain, so you should subtract your yield strain from the ultimate strain.

Pirs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back