Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Billing rates for a few positions--need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaSalle1940

Chemical
Feb 8, 2004
US
This concerns work in the northeast corridor of the US (let's say the Philadelphia/Wilmington area):

1. Suppose you're a CAD person with maybe 3 years of experience maximum using AutoCAD, mostly on stuff like P & ID work. What would you say is a reasonable hourly billing rate if you were going to work directly for a client?

2. Now, suppose you're a process engineer who happens to know his/her way around the ASME Code (Section VIII, Division 1), has some CAD experience (let's say AutoCAD), and would also be doing some process work (let's say jacketed vessel heat transfer calcs, relief device sizing, etc.) Again, what would you say is a reasonable hourly rate if one were working directly for a client?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am in the midwest but have paid out when we were busy and have billed for our services approx. 30-35 hr for drafting services and 60-70 hr for engineering and design. If you have little overhead and want to appear reasonable then 30 and 60 are fair.

For what its worth

DDS1

LaSalle,

I agree with DDS....but these seem to be rock-bottom rates

If the client wants PE stamped drawings....detailed reports....attendence at long project review meetines etc. etc.....I would charge $15/hr more

Lets not forget, when you bring you newly purchased car to a dealer's shop...the billing rate is usually $60-$80/hr

My opinion only

MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back