Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

biodegradable additives for PP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetaalpha

Chemical
Jun 2, 2002
ID
Hi,
I am looking for biodegradable additives for PP. If there are any resources available that I can contact or click, I would really appreciate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some manufacturers of starch especially manufactured to make plastics such as polypropylene biodegradable are :
- St. Lawrence Starch Company Ltd (Canada)
- Archer Daniels Midland Co. (USA)
- National Starch and Chemical Co/American Excelsior Group (USA)
- Warner Lambert (USA)
- Epron Industries Ltd (Great Britain)
- Amylum (Belgium)
- Suedstaerke (Germany)
- Montedison/Novamont/Fertec (Italy)

Depending on which part of the world your company is situated, you might try to contact one of the above for more info.

PP is not biodegradable. The addition of starch does not cause the PP to degrade. The starch, being biodegradable, degrades, and the remains are PP dust. For some aplications this is acceptable, but it does not comply with the definition of "biodegradable".
Yori
yoramc@tama.co.il

Other people are using high levels of natural fibre like sugar cane fibre. But as Yori says this will only break down and leave a skelecton of pp.

for additives that will not significantly change you products, try EPI or Willow Ridge (search for the name adding "degradable" and you'll find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back