Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

bioengineering bioluminescent plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDskary

Bioengineer
Nov 17, 2020
US
I've been reading up on the subject and did some research but i'm not actually a bioengineer so I'm looking for advice.

I was thinking about buying this just for the jellyfish DNA

and a gene gun and all the accessories is gonna be too much so can I use this as the bacteria instead of what comes in the kit?

insert that into the plant and from what I understand it inserts the genes as part of it's natural lifecycle . From there, it gets a little hazy. I believe I can inject it into the plant. only takes a drop and a wound site apparently. This may cause tumors on the plant, but I think once I breed it the offspring will carry the t-dna from the jellyfish. especially if I infect a male and female with the bacteria

Otherwise I would need to do this:
"Plant transformation can be achieved by incubating Agrobacterium with plant protoplasts. Then the bacterium is killed with an antibiotic, the protoplasts are allowed to regenerate walls and form a tissue culture, the non-transformed cells are killed by addition of kanamycin, and the remaining cells (which survive kanamycin treatment because they have the resistance gene) are used to regenerating plants from tissue culture. Alternatively, Agrobacterium can be added to sterile leaf disks in liquid medium, then hormones are used to induce rooting from the leaf disks and thereby regenerate plantlets."

meaning get protoplasts from a living plant, mix it, grow it, kill the bacteria, reform the cell walls and make a clone with the altered dna
I should be able to tell if it worked from the leaf disk and if so we can force it to root and we should have a plant that glows and won't need any external chemicals to feed the bioluminescence

========

sorry for being an amateur but please don't be gentle with commentary. Gotta learn somehow

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back