Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biomass drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

kszyho100

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2004
PL
Hi

I need to calculate heat demand for biomass drying. I know its weight and properties. For this purpose I would like to use some kind of outside floor heting. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

by drying you are really taking the moisture out of the bio-mass bulk. A very rough approximation is if you know the water content inside the bulk then you need to provide the mass times the latent heat of the water to remove the whole water out. but heat will also be absorbed by the bio-mass bulk and loss to the ambient during the process so you have to give some positive tolerance to the above calculation.

How dry do you want it ? What is the destination of dry bulk material.

Thermcools' statement on rough approximation is correct - except I don't understand what He means by "heat absorbed by bulk biomass" and "loss to the ambient".

While as a unit operation Themcool is correct on rough approximation as a single step process. However a more complex precess arrangement would enable you to achive pretty low moisture levels for less than 100 btus / lb of water removed.

Much more detail required to determine suitability of such.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back