Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Biomass: rice hulls waste-to-energy power plant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimheinkool

Mining
Apr 18, 2000
NL
Visit site
About biomass fueled power plants: using rice hulls to fuel power plants was not very succesful in the late 1980s.Problems: high emissions (PM, NOx), boiler slagging, fuel logistics. Does anyone know about possible new technical developments resulting in a more promising future for the application of rice hulls waste-to-energy? Many thanks for your help in advance! Pimhein Kool<br><br><br><br>&nbsp;

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just an Idea since I'm not too familiar with BioMass fired Boilers. How about powdering the rice hulls (like fine flour)and using them in a diesel engine? The original diesel was made to run on coal dust, and a dusty grain silo can actually explode!
I don't know how efficient this system would be but the fuel seems inexpensive and the greater surface area should lead to better combustion, processing may be difficult to powder the hulls and the fuel injection system may be complex, Fouling in the cylinders could also be a problem.
I think a low speed engine would be best.
Just an Idea, Dan76

You might also take a look at a fluidized bed type boiler instead of a stoker type boiler. A combination of some prep to the fuel and a different boiler may make it feasible. Note that, in this day and age, you will need to address the emissions issues an provide post-combustion controls to meet very low levels.

Dan76 and Steve 58: thanks for your contribution. Unfortunatelly, the project (a 41 MWe rice waste -to energy power plant) has been cancelled, due to financial problems rather than technical problems.
Pimhein Kool.

The problem with burning rice hulls is the emissions of crystalline silica, a know cancer causing agent. There is no way to filter out all the below 2.5 micron particles.

There is a technology available developed by Torftech in the UK which burns rice hulls in a specially designed reactor. The gases generated can be used for steam generation in a heat recovery boiler. The ash generated is a high quality amorphous silica which has a very low crystalline content (< 1%) and is a very good additive to concrete to increase its water resistant property.
klnarayanan@super-solution.com
visit me at

You can burn rice husks in green bagasse furnace/boiler arrangements, the husks can be introduced directly into the furnace with the bagasse.

There is a nice piece concerning burning bagasse on this website:-

The information is aimed at older bagasse type boilers on plantations in SE Asia, but there is very good information concerning grate areas and &quot;blast&quot;. And there is a nice historical backgrounder..

firetube

The Wall Street Journal had an editorial a within the last week or so that indicated that genetically engineered bacteria are available that can convert nearly any kind of biomass to ethanol. At least that was my take on it, I'm no expert and they included very little detail. Sounds reasonable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back