Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bird 4030 element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncopator

Electrical
Aug 7, 2006
GB
Does anyone know if the model 4030 relative field strength element has an internal battery or does it depend solely on the field which it is sniffing?

Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since nobody has replied, I will throw in my partial knowledge.

Standard mechanical-meter Bird Wattmeters do not use batteries. The plug-in wattmeter element is a RF detector with diode. The rectified RF output of this element drives the meter.

The Bird wattmeter is based on the principle of a directional coupler, with the transmission line portion of the coupler in the body of the meter, and the coupled element with a detector in the plug-in element. Reversing the element by 180 degrees allows you to measure the forward and reverse - similar to reversing a coupler.

If the wattmeter is subjected to too much RF power for the element plugged-in the diode will get fried. Some amateur radio operators buy damaged elements, drill the rivets, and replace the diodes. Afterwards, the accuracy is suspect, but is more than adequate for hobby use.

Thank you Comcokid. I did know that. The 4030 is different. It doesn't use the directional properties of the host meter plus plug-in arangement.

Yes VE1BLL, I too found that link.

Thank you both once again.

Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back