Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre error that comes up only during analysis run..

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrupt123

Mechanical
Mar 10, 2010
CA
I'm beginning to get more explorative with Pro/Mechanica and I'm trying to run some FEA on a simple pressure vessel. I've successfully run pro/m analysis on some simpler objects, so I'm pretty sure my process and everything is right.

The error I keep getting is this: "one or more surfaces have load but are not part of any element" which comes up in the status dialog of the run if you check it, and the run fails as a "critical error" / "engine failure"

I can't figure out exactly what this error means. my model is a cylinder with a revolve as one endcap, and a mirror of it as the other endcap. It passes the model check, but it keeps quitting due to this error. If I remove the pressure loads from the endcaps (both of them) it will run analysis on the cylinder wall without any problems... So my issue is the endcaps somewhere/somehow... But I cant think of what. Do I need to constrain/define that they're connected to the cylinder wall or something?

Help/thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you will have more help after posting a picture.
It's never simple to imagine the situation without seeing what and where are geometry, constranits, loads..

Hey thanks for the reply.

I solved my own problem... It turns out the revolution for the one end (and the mirror of it at the bottom) were done as surfaces... and they should have been solids.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back