Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black background on pictorial view when print to PDF 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

olynyk

Mechanical
May 25, 2005
CA
Hi everyone,

Fairly simple problem here, but it's driving me (and everyone else in my lab) nuts. Here is a screenshot of Solid Edge ST2 Draft, showing a pictorial view of my assembly.

pictorial_view.png

Settings for the pictorial view (right-click the view, choose Properties > View Shading tab) are "Shaded view quality": 300 dpi; "Show shading in drawing view" checked; "Flat shading" unchecked.

view_settings.png

And when I then print using the Adobe PDF Printer (installed with Acrobat 9 Professional), I get the attached PDF file. (Also screenshot below.) Note the black background on the pictorial view.

black_background.png

Has anybody else ever encountered this problem? Know how to fix it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes I've seen this in the past but don't know how to fix it.
We ended up not doing shaded pictorial views.

Try using Save As > Translated > pdf.
I just tried one and that worked OK.
I have pdfCreator which installs as a printer and that also worked.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Well, given that shaded picoral views have no place on a proper drawing...;-)

Is it related to the 'print all colors as black' setting? Does it print properly if that setting isn't applied?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hi KENAT,

The 'print all colors as black' setting in the Print dialog box has no effect on the problem. The setting was already not applied before; turning it on replaces all the Dark Cyan annotations with black, but doesn't change the shading in the pictorial view, nor does it stop the background of the pictorial view from being completely black.

Beachcomber: What's weird is, Save As > Save As Translated > PDF on my machine here does create a PDF with the black background. It happens on two different machines, also. Mine, with a consumer-level graphics card on Windows XP SP3 Professional 32-bit, and another one with an NVidia Quadro workstation graphics card on WinXP Pro 64-bit SP2.

Alwinus,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! The BullZip PDF writer works perfectly (albeit several times slower than the Adobe PDF writer).

I wonder what is causing this error? Would be interesting for the engineers/coders at Siemens and Adobe to talk to each other and figure it out :)

Regards,

Geoff Olynyk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back