Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

black lenses for cutting s/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

penfold33

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2004
GB
i have been told using a black lense would be beneficial to me as the life of the standard lense im using is too short. is this true. armada have told me it makes no difference, but im not sure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes,got armarda quattro. standard clear lenses im using seem to be getting marked to quickly. (white smears-resulting in a drop in performance.i.e slower cycle times and drastic focal point adjustment).
i was informed some time ago that when cutting stainless steel the black type lense, (BLACK MAGIC LENSES). would address my problem. however since then ive been told otherwise.

darren

The black coated lenses have made no difference in cut quality or life for my company. We are using PRC lasers and have always used II-VII lenses, except for the free trial lenses from different companies.

The build-up I would think, is from not having an adeqaute purge in the beam path.
-Tim

The "BLACK MAGIC LENS" do last a little longer when aluminum or stainless deposits build up on the due to splatter. The coating also helps reduce reflections back up into the system. Having said that, in my experince they do not greatly improve the cut quality or speed. Also they do not transmit the light from HeNe pointers used in most high power CO2 lasers. This can be a safety hazzard and make it harder for the operator to locate on the material. My experince was with PRC lasers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back