Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bladder Moulding

Status
Not open for further replies.

IthonEng

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2011
GB
Afternoon All,

This is my first thread here but I have been reading up on and off over the years. A great source of information!

I have a fair amount of experience with wet lay up and pre-preg composites using vacuum bag/oven techniques.

However I am working on a project that would benefit from bladder moulding. It is effectively a shelled component with one open end. It could me made by simply curing the 2 halves independently using vacuum bag and then joining together post cure. But, given I have not tried bladder moulding before and would like to build my understanding/knowledge of this technique for future projects, it seems a nice place to start.

A few points to note:

- I will be using cnc'd aluminium moulds
- The part is not structural. Therefore aesthetics are priority

I have read this forum and also searched a fair bit on google so have gained a reasonable amount of knowledge to be able to give it a go. However I still have a few questions:

1) is it still best practice to utilise a vacuum bag between the pre-preg and the bladder to reduce the effect of air bubbles

2) if the above is true, how best to incorporate the vacuum valve/line and the bladder valve line into the mould

3) if no vacuum is required, does a bladder require a release film (will likely look at latex bladder)

4) I have read up a number of cases where designers have utilised a heated mandrel in the centre of the bladder. what is the reason for this?

5) lastly do anyone know of any manufacturers in the UK that can produce one off/low volume bladders

I appreciate its a few questions but any help would be much appreciated on my journey. If you know of any good guides/literature I would welcome any links.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds similar to the hollow stringer cavities on current composite commercial a/c shells (e.g. 787) which trap inflatable elastomer bladders between interior vacuum bags with exterior cauls. Scrap rates are very low. It is a good practice used with autoclave, but out of autoclave will be more difficult and, if you use a hollow bladder, you should have good control of interior pressure. Most likely some trials will be required to set a useful bladder pressure. To connect the bladder inlet port into your particular mold, a quick connect fitting can usually be molded into the bladder, but it's best to contact a manufacturer like Rubbercraft for specific guidance.

Have you considered whether a solid, high expansion elastomer bladder system, like some of the Mosites materials, can provide what you need? Experience says that approach can cost far less than the inflatable types. Mosites has a UK distributor listed in their contact page (Aerovac). They also have a decent release agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back