Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

blast loading on a plate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

netjack

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2001
TR
We will perform FEA analysis of a plate under blast load. In order to verify our analysis, we need theoretical or experimental solution of a plate under shock loading. This load can be distributed load or a point load. Our aim is to compare our FEA results by changing material data (yield stress dependancy on strain, strain rate, temperature), loading, loading time etc. Does anybody know such an article, solution, paper (theoretical, experimental)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly search within NAFEMS (A cursory search on their website doesn't show anything, but I would expect that this is one of the most likely organizations to have this type of information (that would be readily available).
The US Army and Navy has this type of information, as do their British counterparts, but I doubt that it is generally available.
What FEA code are you planning on using (or do you have at your disposal)? Some of the codes provide benchmark examples with discussion.
Brad

I will use Dytran. The fluid side (blast gas waves) of the problem is another story. I am more interested in basics like true material behaviour, dynamics involved in the deformation etc. Since we are quite new to subject I want to start with very simple problems like point shock loading on a plate. Thanks for recommandations, I will try to get info from those. I will also check reference section of Dytran.

Be wary of trying to model a blast as a point shock load. This would effectively be modeling a point-impact, which will likely massively deform your structure locally. You would probably be better off starting with a local distributed (even if it is a fairly small patch).
I can't speak to Dytran, as I've never used the code. At least you're using an explicit code.
Good luck.
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back