Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blast Wall Design Forces 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLinker

Structural
Nov 16, 2004
US
I am currently designing a foundation / blast wall system for an electrical transformer ( greater then 5,000 gal). I have the separation and line of sight requirements to determine the height of the wall but looking at FM Global, IEEE and NFPA, I do not find a way to determine the design blast force to apply to the wall.

Does anyone have experience or references on how to determine the blast force on a wall a certain distance from a fuel source?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need info from the ATF. I did an explosives bunker a few years ago and they wanted to make sure the doors would blow off before the structure disintegrated. Of course that was before 911 so maybe Homeland Security would have better information now days.

Mudflaps

Your client has to provide you with either the blast pressure or the parameters for you to calculate the blast pressure. The parameters would include type of explosive, size of the charge, and stand-off distance.

If they can't provide this info you would need a security consultant to help them select an appropriate threat level, i.e. probable type of explosive a terrorist would use, size of the charge, and stand-off distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back