Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blending curve to curve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2013
GB

Hi Guys,
It’s a very basic question but I can’t figure it out. Please see the attached picture. I am trying to produce a fan blade and want to extrude 1st curve and blend into the 2nd curve.
We are using NX 8.5 and on a basic licence.
Thank you
Regards Rodney

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are looking for a feature named "Through Curves". ( = "Loft" in other systems)
Select profile1, then click "add new set" ( or middle mouse click) then select profile2 . Make sure you select the profiles "consistently".( i.e "same" curve and same end of both curves) You will then avoid confusion :). ( Such as twisted results etc.)

You can then play around with the options in the dialog to get the desired shape.

Regards,
Tomas

In my humble opinion... , i would not recommend the options used on the particular example supplied,
In the example : alignment by points which is fully ok, but ... If one looks at the two sides of the model, the concave side shows two faces whilst the convex side only 1 face. In my view would like to have a similar topology here, i.e total of 3 faces "around" instead of 2. The reason is that the resulting surfaces will be much simpler than if one of the 2 faces has to "manage" both the relatively flat and at the same time the relatively tight curvature, plus the transition between.
Edit the feature, turn on "Preserve shape" and set the alignment option to "parameter".
For us nerds:
Original face : 3x3 degree / 28x1 patches
preserve shape + parameter 4x3 degree / 1x1 patch and 4x3 d. / 3x1 p.

Regards,
Tomas

Toost is correct, 'by points' is probably not the best approach in this case. His suggestions will result in a 'better' model.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back